Monday, August 1, 2011

Two very different restaurants

There's a lot I like about the 12'th Ave Cafe in Issaquah, Wa. It's the sort of place you would expect to find on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. The food is good , portions are generous and I felt comfortable bringing my children and grandchildren there. If you go, order breakfast; it's served all day and it really is one of the best places for breakfast I've ever tried. I suggest the Trucker's Combo: biscuit and gravy, an egg, meat and their famous grilled spuds.
All this makes me sad because I cannot eat there. I was told TWICE that they don't serve people in wheelchairs.
Shortly after acquiring this delightful mode of transportation, i convinced my lovely wife, Lori, to split a breakfast with me at the 12th Ave. OK, being totally honest, I wanted to eat an entire breakfast (enough calories for a small town) but Lori STRONGLY suggested we split one.
When we arrived, I was encouraged by the 3 separate handicapped parking stalls. Upon wheeling inside, however, I remembered that it isn't the most spacious establishment, and it was busy. The waitress approached and pointed to a table "This one is open, but I don't think he can get to it," she said. "We can wait for a different table, closer to the door," I answered. "Then we would have to move a table so people can get around the wheelchair. We're really not set up here to serve people in wheelchairs. Sorry."
We left with me sputtering indignantly and ended up eating someplace forgettable.
Before posting this blog, I called the 12th Ave and asked if they would have any problem seating someone in a wheelchair. "Not if they don't mind sitting outside on the sidewalk."

On the flip side of the coin is Ricardo's A Mexican restaurant located in Factoria, Wa. I've been there 5 or 6 times and enjoyed myself each time. The food is good and fairly priced, margaritas are huge and not at all watered down.
But what set's this place apart is the wait staff. From the front door to my table, they never fail to make me feel welcome. They open the doors for me, make sure there is enough room down the aisle to get to my table and they somehow manage to do this without making me feel like a burden.
I'd recommend a menu item, but I honestly have enough trouble deciding for myself.

Next time: Camping and dining on the Oregon Coast

No comments:

Post a Comment