Sunday, August 28, 2011

Wolf Creek Oregon

As promised, albeit somewhat later than I had hoped, this blog entry is going to concentrate on Wolf Creek Oregon and the historic Wolf Creek inn. You get to Wolf Creek off of I-5 on exit 76. It's a small town, two or three gas station/mini – marts, a small campground and the historic Wolf Creek Inn.
First, the campground. When we stopped there in July, the campground had only recently been reopened. As such, we had the place mostly to ourselves. We picked a spot not far from the stream and set up camp.
Our site had a pull through with with power and water hookups. The campground is a little rough around the edges but the caretakers have great plans for the place. Speaking of the caretakers, unfortunately my memory for names isn't what it used to be which is really sad since the caretakers were exceptionally nice people. Both are emergency medical technicians and probably one of the friendliest couples I never met-without being invasive.
One thing that impressed me about the town of Wolf Creek was how many wheelchair ramps I saw. Just about every business had a wheelchair ramp for easy access.
By the time we had checked in and set up camp all that remained open for the minimart's. So we decided to go to the Wolf Creek inn for breakfast the next morning.
The Wolf Creek Inn is the oldest continuous use hotel in the state of Oregon. They have nine guestrooms and-if breakfast is any indication-a really top-notch restaurant. The menu is limited, that means they concentrate on what they do well. I had the biscuits and gravy. Others in our party had the Wolf Creek breakfast which consists of eggs, meat and hashbrowns. Everything was served with fresh fruit and choice of beverage.
The food was quite good but what impressed me the most was the hospitality. Now remember, this is a functioning inn; they rent out the guestrooms, the caretakers were very informal about letting the grandkids runaround, look into the ballroom explore, so long as an adult was watching. Also those of you in wheelchairs might be familiar with the wheelchair stare - that long look some business owners give you when you first wheel into their establishment. I did not receive the wheelchair stare atthe Wolf Creek inn. What I did receive was a warm welcome and people going out of their way to make sure I had a clear path to the dining room.
As much as we would've love to spend more time there we had a very long road trip ahead of us so it was back to the campsite, hook up the trailer and get back on I-5.

as this blog post is fairly short I will follow-up soon with some of my observations a little closer to home. Thank you for your comments please keep them coming and thank you for clicking on the advertiser links on the site. And as ever, if you have someplace you'd like me to review submitted in the comment the worst that can happen is I can say no not in my general area or not something I'm interested in seeing but who knows I may go out of my way and take a look it can never hurt to try.

1 comment:

  1. testing, testing is this thing on?

    I frequently use Dragon Naturally Speak to create my blog posts. Usually, however, I make a point of checking spelling, syntax and such.
    Unfortunately in my last post, I neglected to check my work. Hence there were a number of errors which I hope I have since corrected.
    Thank you for your patience

    ReplyDelete