Sunday, October 30, 2011

An up-scale diner with low-class parking

The Skillet Diner at 1400 Union Street deserves to be on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. Anyplace that sells Bacon Jam defines the word "Amazing."
After an early-morning doctor appointment in Seattle, Lori and I stopped in for breakfast.
After a frustrating experience parking- more on that later - we were quickly seated, menus and  coffee delivered and the difficult task of deciding on what to order begun.
I ended up getting house-made biscuits and sage gravy. Lori got the daily scramble special, Gouda and herbs with an Arugula salad.
The biscuits and gravy were wonderful. They were topped with some deep-fried sage and served piping-hot. Portions were very generous. I couldn't finish mine.
Service was great. They were attentive without hovering and quick to offer suggestions when we had difficulty deciding.
The lunch and dinner menu are very tempting with such choices as a fried chicken sammy "(fennel seed crust, pickled and charred jalapeƱo aioli, kale, potato bread) or the rabbit duo (bbq beans, house-made chorizo, braised leg, chicken fried loin, cherry chermoula). So far, we haven't made it back to try any of these, yet.
As much as  I enjoyed the food and service, the parking was terrible. There was no handicapped parking to be found, just standard street parking. Getting out of the car, over the curb and into my chair was dangerous and painful.

1 comment:

  1. That bacon jam sounds good. too bad I'm on the other coast. I'm enjoying your blog Mark. People take too much for granted and don't try to put themselves into the place of those who have disabilities. I worked for 9 years in a nursing home and that taught me a lot about life. I wish the best for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete